Join us on Sunday, February 26 at 11:30 am when Jo Ann Hardesty, President of the Portland NAACP, will be at Bethel UCC to talk about the award-winning book “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness,” by Michelle Alexander. In the book, Ms. Alexander describes how the War on Drugs and associated racial bias in laws, policing, courts, prison systems, media, and government programs continue to devastate black communities with many of the same problems seen in the Jim Crow era.
This event is open to the public. Light refreshments will be provided.
About Jo Ann Hardesty:
• Member of Oregon House of Representatives 1995-2001 (as Jo Ann Bowman)
• President of Portland NAACP
• Active in many community groups
• Principal Partner in Consult Hardesty, which offers education and consultation on community activism
• Presenter of educational seminars based on “The New Jim Crow”
• Click here for a more detailed biography.
The Portland Tribune is doing a series of articles on this subject. Click on the links below for more information about what is happening here in the Portland metro area.