Who We Are
Bethel - Born of Love, Shaped By Grace, Transformed for Service
We are people on a journey - a journey of acceptance, seeking, and positive faith rather than judgment. You are invited to join with us, as together we participate in worship, education, and service to others; celebrate the joys of life, and care for each other in difficult times. We are an inclusive congregation, welcoming the LGBTQ community, and affirm their participation in the life of the church.
We strive to learn more about our faith through worship, Bible study, service and reflection. We are challenged to interpret scripture for relevance in today's world, and to respond as the Spirit moves us, by putting our faith into action for those in need in our local and global communities.
Bethel is part of the United Church of Christ. We are proud to own the UCC heritage of interpreting scripture as a call for social justice, a commitment to service, and extravagant welcome for all.
- While our Christian faith is 2000 years old, our thinking is not.
- We are a people on a faith journey where grace abounds.
- We celebrate God's still-speaking voice revealed in our world today.
- We worship God, share the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and practice God's unconditional love for all creation.
- We act on our faith to achieve needed works of service, justice, love and kindness.
- We support one another, celebrating our roots and enthusiastically embracing our evolving future.
- We are an open and affirming congregation welcoming all in God's family, wherever each is in life's journey.
- Bethel - Born of Love, Shaped By Grace, Transformed for Service.
What can I expect when I visit?
Everyone is welcome.
Dress varies. Wear your Sunday best or casual clothing. You’ll see it all here.
Children are very welcome in Worship. When children and youth are excused to go to Church School or an activity, each family decides what works best for them and their children.
Will Bethel be a good fit for me?Bethel is an active Church. Your participation is encouraged within our church, our community, and our world. Engaging in service as you live out your faith is a great way to get started here, working with others toward a common goal. Our progressive UCC tradition means that we strive to take centuries-old Biblical messages into our community today, working for social justice in the areas of food, housing, and equality. If making a difference interests you, you’ll definitely fit in!
- Several times a month, worship is multi-generational. This means that kids not in the Nursery-3rd grade will stay with their families throughout the service. The music and sermon are more kid-friendly, as are the on-screen visuals. If the service includes Sunday School classes, kids leave the sanctuary after the Children's Message about 15 minutes into the services.
- Services don’t always precisely follow the same Order of Worship. We occasionally meet outside, or at times may sing some non-traditional songs. A social gathering time follows worship services.
- We have an open table - we believe Communion bread and wine/juice are for everyone. If you feel called to take Communion, please feel welcome to do so.
- Our congregation and staff are very collaborative. Lay leaders help decide what happens in Worship and around the Church. Join us and help shape the future at Bethel!