At Bethel, we strive to put our faith into action. We consider works of service, justice, love and kindness to be important parts of Bethel’s mission. Our congregation initiates as well as participates in a variety of social action projects, often partnering with community organizations that provide services to those in need. These groups include:
- Faith Café - Faith Café, housed on Bethel’s campus, is a partnership of local faith communities dedicated to helping our Washington County neighbors who are hungry for food and community. Faith Café offers a free weekly meal, served family-style, and advocates for long-term social changes that reduce hunger and poverty. Members of our congregation volunteer to serve at the Café on a regular basis.
- Bethel Food Cupboard – Bethel operates a food cupboard that provides emergency food to families in need through a partnership with Oregon Food Bank and Care to Share – local organizations that connect people in crisis to community resources.
- Habitat for Humanity – Bethel partners with this ecumenical Christian non-profit to both financially sponsor and help build decent, affordable housing in our community to help lift struggling families out of their cycles of poverty.
- Beaverton Literacy Council – In conjunction with the Beaverton Literacy Council, ESL (English as a Second Language) and U.S. Citizenship classes are held on the Bethel campus, and many of our members are actively engaged as teachers in this program.
- Beaverton Homeless Youth – Bethel supports the homeless teens at Beaverton High School by donating school and personal supplies, sending the students birthday cards and gifts, and raising awareness about the homeless youth in our area. We also deliver food to Beaverton HS homeless students over extended school breaks away from school food programs.